Virginia's goal is to be a national leader in the preservation and enhancement of our economy. The quality of Virginia's economy directly affects businesses, citizens, and institutions. Highlights of Virginia's economy include:
- Virginia is widely recognized as a top state for business, winning regular accolades from Forbes.com, CNBC, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and US News and World Report, among many others.
- Virginia's unemployment rate remains lower than the national average.
- Worker productivity has been rising in the U.S., and Virginia's productivity rate continues to exceed the national average.
- Although Virginia consistently ranks among the top 10 states for per capita personal income, more than one in 10 residents still lives below the federal poverty level.
- Regions of the state differ -- sometimes significantly -- in their prosperity and levels of educational attainment.
The economic indicators help to assess the progress we are making, understand the key elements that influence performance, and clarify the role the Commonwealth is taking to improve the economic quality of life.