Government and Citizens
Virginia's goal is to be recognized as the best-managed state in the nation.
- Virginia is widely regarded as having a fiscally sound, well-run, and innovative state government.
- The nation's top credit-rating professionals have awarded Virginia the highest AAA bond rating since 1938, longer than any other state.
- Virginia continues to struggle with high consumer fraud rates.
- Although Virginia performs well for digital innovations in government, overall Internet use and broadband access lag many other states.
- Virginia ranked 31st among the states for voter turnout in 2014.
The state government and citizen engagement indicators help to assess the progress we are making; understand the key elements that influence the indicators; clarify the role the Commonwealth is taking to improve the administration and management of state government; and increase citizen participation at all levels of government.