Virginia's goal is to protect the public's safety and security, ensure a fair and effective system of justice, and provide a prepared response to emergencies and disasters of all kinds.
- Virginia's low crime rates put it among the top 10 states in the nation.
- Virginia's juvenile arrest rate for property and violent crimes is well below the national average.
- The Department of State Police has maintained accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies for more than 15 years.
- Virginia consistently earns high marks for its disaster preparedness.
- Virginia's traffic fatality rates are largely declining.
The public safety indicators help to assess the progress we are making, understand the key elements that influence performance, and clarify the role the Commonwealth is taking to protect and improve the safety and security of our citizens.